OCTOBER 23 - 24, 2017
Sign Up For More Info
Raleigh Convention Center
Calling all Start-Up Companies and Entrepreneurs!
All Things Open, the largest open source, open tech, and open web conference on the east coast of the United States, will host its first ever “Open” Pitch Competition on the first day of the 2016 event, which is Wednesday, October 26, 2016. Six (6) winning teams will be chosen to deliver 4 minute pitches (and 4 minutes of Q & A) presenting their software, hardware, or service company from the main stage to a panel of VCs, CEOs, and Founders.
The pitch session will be in front of a live plenary audience. More than 2,000 technologists and decision makers are expected to attend the event from all over the United States and the world.
Although there are many, many ways to define an “open” company we choose to define it in the following way for the purposes of the event this year:
- A software company at which 75% of all software produced is made available to end users under an open source license. *This does allow minimal room for proprietary tools and products, but 75%+ should be available under an open source license.
- A hardware company at which all designs of its products are shared through an open source license, and people are free to download, modify, and share schematics and software as a result.
- A consulting/services based company at which all distribution, consulting and support services are around open source and open hardware products only.
- The company must contribute to, or otherwise support, open source projects and be able to prove it.
- A business entity legally organized and registered in the United States.
- Must have at least one (1) full-time employee.
- Must have achieved a revenue run rate of at least $50,000 USD per year OR secured external funding of at least $100,000 USD not from personal or family sources.
- Must be looking for external funding.
- Verify your company qualifies based on the criteria identified above.
- Verify you and/or your team are available to travel to All Things Open if chosen (the competition will take place October 26, 2016)
- Complete and submit the form providing the most accurate information possible by September 23th, 2016.
- Wait to be notified whether you’ve been chosen as one of 6 finalists.
Tyler Jewell, Partner with Toba Capital and CEO of Codenvy
Tyler is CEO of Codenvy and project lead for Eclipse Che, the next-generation Eclipse IDE. He is also a partner with Toba Capital where he makes developer-related investments including WSO2, Sauce Labs, ShiftMobility, ZeroTurnaround, InfoQ, SourceGraph, and AppHarbor. He is the author of three books on Java, including O’Reilly’s Java Web Services.
Jesse Wu, Red Hat Strategic Investments
Jesse is an experienced investment, business development, and product management leader. At Red Hat, Jesse is responsible for driving the Integrated Solutions across Red Hat’s emerging product portfolio. In addition, Jesse leads Red Hat’s Strategic Investment function by co-investing with top VCs to enrich targeted technology ecosystems. Jesse is also an active member of startup communities as the Executive Council Member of the Raleigh Innovator’s Program, Mentor of Techstars Boston, and Advisory Board Member of CBInsights.
Why Submit and What You Win:
If you submit your company for consideration you will receive:
- A steeply discounted exhibit table at All Things Open. There, you will receive exposure to more than 2,000 open source/open tech/open web technologists and decision makers.
If chosen as one of six finalist companies you will receive the following:
- Paid travel for one (1) founder to All Things Open 2016
- One (1) free exhibit table at the event
- The opportunity to deliver a 4 minute pitch (and 4 minutes of Q & A) from the main stage on Wednesday, October 26 to a panel of VC/CEO/Founder judges
- Face-to-face time with at least one (1) participating judge
- Valuable media exposure
- Exposure to more than 2,500 open source/open tech/open web technologists and decision makers attending the event.
If chosen as 1st , 2nd , or 3rd place winner:
1st place winner:
- $3500 USD
- Three (3) conversations and/or meetings with investors (30 minutes minimum)
2nd place winner:
- $1500 USD
- Two (2) conversations and/or meetings with investors (30 minutes minimum)
3rd place winner:
- One (1) conversation and/or meeting with investor (30 minutes minimum)